Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Synopsis

You know you have a good friend when they read something you have worked hard on for weeks, look you directly in the eye, smile and say "You know this is shitty right?"
I knew she was right. It was bad. Though I had researched and practiced and asked for help my novel synopsis sucked. Now it wasn't terrible. Others had said it was pretty good, even though it made my novel come off like YA Romance *sigh* (Nothing against YA love at all....just totally NOT my novel).
Worst part....I already sent it to a perspective agent...I know I know...stupid right? Well the thing is that it wasn't that bad...

Anyways, long story short, my synopsis sucked. (And my deepest apologies to that agent....I can do sooo much better.) So I asked my honest friend, "What do I do?"

She said, "Suck it up. Stop whining about how much you hate writing the synopsis and sit down and do it right."

Powned! She had me. I didn't even realize how much my mental block against it was my own damn fault. So today, I shut up, sucked it up and wrote it again from scratch.


Here is a link to the best Synopsis help I have found so far.
http://www.publishingcrawl.com/2012/04/17/how-to-write-a-1-page-synopsis/

No comments:

Post a Comment