Tuesday, May 12, 2015

For More Than Just a Tank n' Spank

Not that a Tank n' Spank is bad at all but here is a resource to add some XP to your story. (Sorry I could not resist the cheesiness!!)

Video Game Storytelling: What Every Developer Needs to Know about Narrative Techniques.
By Evan Skolnick
Released December 2, 2014

I originally picked up this book because I am a writer and I enjoy gaming. I play mostly RPG’s and I appreciate when games have a good, strong story. That is not that only reason I play but a clunky, cliché story can hinder a good game and a great story can make a good game great.
This book gives basic narrative techniques and story structure explanations and examples that are easy to understand. I enjoyed the use of Star Wars as a resource and the overall presentation of the book. It is written for gamers and developers and the casual, informative and quirky presentation makes it a fun read.
Whether you are a game developer, game writer, or writer gamer this books does a great job of laying out useful techniques including the Three-Act structure, the Monomyth or Hero’s Journey, and basic looks at story arcs and mission development. Honestly, even if gaming is not a part of your life, this is a good resource for basic story construction.
My only complaint is the book seems to be listed rather high but it is a niche piece written for a select group.  

My husband (the main gamer in the family) may find this wrapped as a birthday gift 

No comments:

Post a Comment