Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Book Review 'He Wanted the Moon'

He Wanted the Moon: The Madness and Medical Genius of Dr. Perry Baird, and His Daughter's Quest to Know Him

By Mimi Baird

I recently read picked up 'He Wanted the Moon' due to my interest in mental illness and the human experience. I was overwhelmingly pleased with the raw and true approach of the author.

There was no romanticizing, no sugar coating, no skirting the details and for that I commend Mimi Baird. Stories of life are far from easy, especially those woven with illness. To tell the story of a created character or even of a stranger is one thing but to tell the story of one you love, a father, and to do it so well, with so much honesty is inspiring. 

Mimi, if you ever read this, please know that as someone who can empathize, thank you for what you did in honor of your father. His story lives on and he is still teaching others about life. Thank you for staying true to his plight. Well done. I hope one day to measure up to the honor you have shown in my own right with stories I have left to tell. 

No comments:

Post a Comment