Wednesday, October 7, 2015

"Wishing I was knee deep in the water somewhere
Got the blue sky breeze and it don't seem fair
Only worry in the world is the tide going to reach my chair
Sunrise there's a fire in the sky
Never been so happy
Never felt so high
And I think I might have found me my own kind of paradise"
--'Knee Deep' Zac Brown Band


I have never been an ocean girl. The sand and swimsuit thing was never for me. I was raised in a land where water came rarely unless it was flowing from the hose into a mud pit my parents dug in the backyard. Now I love water. I was a mud duck before I could walk but the beach...that was another thing all together. I never saw the ocean until I was in High School and the closest I ever was to the beach (other than a short vacation) was when I worked in Brazil for three months. I enjoyed looking at the ocean, the waves, sun and sand but I didn't like being on it.

Funny how things change....

Recently I moved to the beach for breathing issues and I think I am falling in love with the ocean. Sand don't bother me. I look good and feel confident in my swimwear and I don't care if anyone disagrees. The sun, the waves, the smell of salt air...I love it. The best part...I can breath. (Out of both nostrils at the same time! I didn't think that was normal....it is awesome).
Yesterday, I was lying on the beach, breathing and editing my novel. I got my book, my post-it notes, my pen and I was enjoying myself. I was at least 8 feet from the water. Not being a former beach girl...I still have stuff to learn...like about the tide. I was lost in my own world when I heard a guy run by. Most of the people run near the water so I was a decent distance from the runners. I looked up and haha. I was on my stomach facing the water so I got a great view of the approaching tide. Luckily the wave stopped about a foot and a half from me so I had time to get my stuff and move before the next pulse of water.

So now I understand. Thank you Zac Brown for preparing me for real life. Next time, I will be prepared and know whether or not the tide will reach my paperwork.

My sincerest gratitude to you and the guy who ran past me.


No comments:

Post a Comment