Thursday, November 19, 2015

Eleanor by johnny worthen

(Disclaimer: I do book reviews by my own choosing. Not all books I read get a review. Sometimes I do it for friends or people who ask but if I don't like the book, I don't post a review. These are my honest opinions. Thanks for reading.)

Just finished reading Eleanor by Mr. Johnny Worthen. Wonderful story! The bitterness of reality and human emotion mixed with the gritty truth of how myths could play out paints a life of a being (Eleanor) worthy of our attention. 
Personally, I normally don't read YA literature. I find the cookie cutter, teen romance and coming of age tale to be, too often, sugar coated and fluffed into a fantasy of real life. Not all YA is like this but I have read enough that I tend to shy away from the genre. (Not saying the authors or books are bad, this is just a personal preference). I enjoy books with grit and sweat and confusion. Real life is tough and dirty and I gravitate to stories that mirror that to some extent. Now, I enjoy butterflies and happy endings as much as the next woman or hopeful romantic but I want some pain in there too. I like to escape into a fantasy world and recover from the stings of life but I still like a story with some sting of its own. 
Eleanor did that for me. It was sweet and wrought with the pains and confusion of first love and the infuriating, hormone wreaked storm of growing up. It carried the love and triumph along with the sorrow and fear that makes up life. 
Thank you Mr. Worthen, Johnny, for this glimpse into the life of Eleanor. She is not only loved by you, David and Tabitha anymore. You have shared her with the world. I love her too. Thank you for this novel and I look forward to reading Celeste. 

Check out Eleanor and more titles by johnny worthen. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KK6BAVC/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?ie=UTF8&btkr=1

1 comment: