Friday, March 13, 2015

Facing Fears

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”


A friend of mine shared this quote with me and it hit every fiber of my being and every wisp of my soul. Fear is something I have been consciously working to overcome for the past year. Not fear of anything in particular, just fear. I'm not scared to be judged, I don't like conflict or confrontation but I don't dread or run from them. I know illness and I have been close to death. I know I am not the 'society's definition of attractive'. I am too big, too masculine and I don't play social/emotional games. I know these things and I have grown fine with them. I like who I am....that being said, I am still scared. Not of anything but all the time. With the help of my man, my friends and my faith I have overcome them and found of the root of so many things. One by one (another one bits the dust) the illogical hold on me has shattered. 

With that, this weekend, I am attempting to overcome one more. For years, I have wanted to do a Vlog on Youtube. But I had too many excuses, too many fears. Now it is time to buck up and do it anyway. Be looking at the beginning of the week for my first ever episode. I am not promising anything spectacular but hey....ever spectacular is relative :)


Channel is Lora Douglas on Youtube. 

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed reading your thoughts. I will be watching for your Vlog.

    ReplyDelete